Sunday 24 March 2024

‘If I Can Lift Over 200 Pounds, Then I Can Easily Talk About My Psoriasis’

From ca.movies.yahoo.com

After being diagnosed with psoriasis in elementary school, Britni Denney’s self-confidence plummeted. “As a kid, all you want to do is fit in,” she says.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes red, itchy, scaly patches on the skin, called plaques. For Denney, they showed up on her scalp, ears, torso, and limbs. The condition affects over 2 percent of the world’s population, and can begin at any age.

Throughout her childhood, Denney recalls hiding the patches as best she could, strategically choosing clothes that would both cover them up and camouflage any dandruff from the plaques on her scalp. She avoided talking about her condition, and sometimes asked friends to photoshop her patches out of photos.

Over the years Denney has learned that her biggest psoriasis trigger is stress: Situations at work or in her personal life worsened existing patches or led to new ones forming. During a particularly stressful time in her life, Denney’s cousin brought her along to a CrossFit gym. Though she was intimidated at first, Denney had fallen in love with the high-intensity strength-training workout by the end of her first session.

She joined a local CrossFit gym in Pensacola, FL, and now three years later, it’s her main stress-management outlet. “I walk into the CrossFit gym at least five to six times a week, and I know that any ounce of stress that I might have is just gonna melt away,” Denney says.

                                                                                Photo credit: Hearst Owned

Now 30, Denney feels completely differently about her condition—she frequently posts about her psoriasis on social media (which has helped her find community around the world). And she welcomes opportunities to educate others about her condition.

“CrossFit finally gave me the self-confidence that I didn't have when I was younger,” she says. “It gave me the confidence to be okay with the body that I was given and to understand that I'm going to be different. And that it's okay.”

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/movies/lift-over-200-pounds-then-210000110.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment