Friday 17 February 2023

What I Would Tell Someone if They Get Diagnosed With Psoriasis

From blogs.webmd.com

By Jordan Mendiola

It’s fascinating how we can take healthy skin for granted. I was a happy-go-lucky individual who played sports, went to school, worked hard, and had an adventurous spirit. Then one winter after college cross-country season, I noticed some bumps on my chest. 

I went in for a diagnosis, and they said psoriasis. A few days later, I was covered in red, patchy spots. Overwhelmed, I broke down crying in both disbelief and discomfort. But here I am, 6 years in since my diagnosis, and I have overcome so much.

At first, you’re going to deny it or have trouble showing it in public, depending on how severe or visual it may be. I wore long sleeves in summer and only showed my skin if I knew I wasn’t having flare-ups. Do your best to accept this new reality and start looking for solutions.

When confronted with a harsh reality, you want to start going online to find some psoriasis creams, lotions, or anything that will help minimize irritation and dryness. I’ve found it better to take matters into my own hands rather than avoid them. 

As time goes on, you learn your psoriasis triggers – certain foods, exposure to the cold, psoriasis products, and so much more. Eventually, you will be able to mitigate your flare-ups and learn to manage and maintain your skin

As someone with a visually concerning skin condition, you must learn to develop your confidence. If you let your psoriasis cripple you by backing down and hiding from it, you’re going to make your life much harder than it needs to be.

I’ve gone shirtless with my psoriasis. There are noticeable marks surrounding my body. People notice. Some friends have asked about it. When they ask, I tell them, “It’s my psoriasis, and it causes my skin to have flare-ups.” Boom. Simple as that. And whoever asked me acknowledges it, and we move on.

My girlfriend has been fully supportive of my psoriasis condition by surprising me with products and supporting me through any insecurities (which hardly exist anymore). I consider myself very lucky to have people who don’t make it a big deal. And that’s exactly what it is: It’s a skin condition and not a big deal. 

The people who loved and supported you prior to your diagnosis are going to love and support you post-diagnosis, too. Own the fact that you have psoriasis. Own the fact that this is your life and things happen. You are going to have to persevere with your own thoughts, self-image, and confidence. 

Although psoriasis isn’t the card I wish I was dealt, things could be worse, and I am grateful for every day no matter what. Embrace all the highs and lows of psoriasis. It teaches you to stand with your head held high instead of staying down. 

https://blogs.webmd.com/psoriasis/20230216/what-i-would-tell-someone-if-fhey-get-diagnosed-with-psoriasisShare on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment