Saturday 11 November 2023

Should You Be Taking Vitamins or Supplements for Psoriasis?

From everydayhealth.com

By Howard Change

Can omega-3 fish oil or turmeric help your psoriasis symptoms? What about vitamin D? EH’s psoriasis blogger takes these questions to his dermatologist 

I’ve finally accepted that I’m not 35 years old. In my mind I see myself as a young, active person who is ready to conquer the world. But my body tells me that I’m squarely middle-aged. That truth hit home when I shopped at Costco last month.

As I walked along the pharmacy aisle, I noticed vitamins on sale specifically for people who are over 50. I’d considered buying a bottle before as part of a tweak to try during Psoriasis Action Month. A quick call to my wife confirmed that this was a good idea.

Starting on a daily multivitamin felt harmless enough. But a few days into my new routine I decided to do a little research to see if these pills, or other kinds of dietary supplements, might improve my psoriasis as well as my overall health.

                                  Scientists are investigating the effects of turmeric and vitamin D on psoriasis.  Canva (2)

Checking In With My Dermatologist

I like to use the notes app on my phone to write down questions to ask my healthcare providers at my next appointment. The topic of supplements landed on my list for my next visit with Christie Carroll, MD.

Dr. Carroll mentioned several supplements that her psoriasis patients ask about: omega-3 fish oil, turmeric (and its active ingredient, curcumin), and vitamin D. She said she couldn’t recommend any of these for my psoriasis based on her clinical experience, but it wouldn’t hurt me to try them out.

We both commented on how we didn’t like fish oil pills due to the possibility of an unpleasant fishy taste coming up during digestion. I do like eating fish, though, and thought that adding more smoked salmon or other types of seafood high in omega-3 fatty acids to my diet wouldn’t be that difficult.

I left the appointment with some urgency to get my vitamin D checked as I’ve had low levels in the past. I don’t generate as much vitamin D naturally since I developed an allergic reaction to phototherapy and sunlight. I later read about a study that found people with psoriasis generally benefit from getting more vitamin D, either through supplements or diet.

Psoriasis Treatment Is Individual

One of my pet peeves is when people make claims that certain nutrients or food choices or avoidance cured their psoriasis, and will cure yours, too. I’ve heard this assertion over and again, from eliminating meat, dairy, and gluten to ingesting flaxseed oil.

I don’t have any way to verify whether something works or doesn’t work for other people. There are numerous psoriasis treatments and therapies precisely because there isn’t one that fits all. What helps one person may do very little for someone else.

The National Psoriasis Foundation punctuates the point: “There is no direct link between vitamins and dietary supplements and psoriatic disease. However, many with psoriatic disease find that including vitamins and supplements in their diet helps their skin clear and may ease joint pain.”

This understanding helps me decide what to try, or avoid. I check with my healthcare providers first, since they know my health conditions, including what medications I’m taking. For example, once my dermatologist told me to stop taking a certain herbal pill for insomnia when starting a new psoriasis pill.

I also feel less pressure to try what others are touting knowing that it’s not a sure bet to work for me. When someone says they have a cure, even though I want it to be true, my scepticism can help me avoid later disappointment.

When Possible I Aim to Get Nutrients Through Food

Despite my careful approach, I’m willing to take supplements and vitamins and change how I eat in order to improve my overall health and maybe also my psoriasis.

I’ve heard a lot about gut health and inflammation recently, so I decided to add probiotics to my diet. A few ounces of fermented food in the form of kimchi or sauerkraut each day fits well into my eating style. In the morning I mix blueberries or raspberries into non-fat plain yogurt that is rich in gut-friendly bacteria.

Antioxidant-rich foods are also part of my diet, since they are good for my overall health and help lessen my risk of heart disease and other health issues that are more likely to affect people with psoriasis. As with probiotics, I’m trying to get my antioxidants from food. I especially like blueberries or strawberries plain, as a salad topping, or mixed into yogurt. To wean myself from salty snacks at night, I’m eating vegetable snack packs that include antioxidant-rich broccoli.

The Bottom Line on Supplements and Vitamins for Psoriasis

The jury is still out on whether taking supplements or vitamins or making dietary changes will work to lessen my psoriasis severity. Regardless, I’m open to the possibility that they might.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/howard-chang-the-itch-to-beat-psoriasis/should-you-be-taking-vitamins-or-supplements-for-psoriasis/

No comments:

Post a Comment